Thursday, March 15, 2012

Happy 108th Birthday Dr. Seuss!!

So for all of you that are thinking, 'umm...Dr. Seuss's birthday was a few weeks ago!" Yes, I know this. But I am the ultimate slacker. I have been meaning to blog about my classroom festivities since then!! So here it finally is!!
I did a two week lesson plan with my kiddos on Dr. Seuss because there is SO many different things you can do with Dr. Seuss! They also LOVED it which makes my job a bit easier!! Of course there are endless Dr. Seuss books to read to them. But then the trick is to come up with activities for them to keep them happy and interested. This has been proven to be a difficult tasks since I have 2 1/2 year olds all the way to 4 1/2 year olds. BUT!!! Luckily seussville.com saved me!!! There are activities for a bunch of popular Dr. Seuss books (Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Horton Hears a Who, etc.), a tab for parents, monthly nationwide activities and so much more! I stubbled upon it when I googled (love google!) "dr. seuss activities. Within minutes I had my two weeks filled up!!
Our first week, we had parents sign up to come in and read whatever Dr. Seuss book they wanted (aka what book their child picked out). All the kiddos loved it!! They some how got into this weird thing of bursting out into a ridiculous laugh after EVERY page was read to them. Absolutely hilarious. They would laugh at something that wasn't even funny. 'Go Dog Go' is a basic beginning readers book, so its super simple. The first page just says "Dog." They were rolling with laughter!! It made the experience for them a bit more entertaining I guess!! 'Whatever keeps them happy!' is all I told the parents that gave us questionable looks wondering what was so funny.I had them make their very own 'Cat in the Hat' hat. They thought they were the cats meow with those! (no pun intended!!) They got to color endless Dr. Seuss pictures to help decorate our room to celebrate his birthday! Which, keep in mind how much most kids love coloring; I didn't know what to do with all the pictures they colored! I could't keep up on making enough copies for them!! Here is how it ended up looking on one wall of the room!

My kiddos loved showing off their Cat in the Hat to their parents when they got picked up that evening! Of course, this is only a SMALL selection of pictures on this wall. We had a lot of them up!
My favorite activity I got to do with them was our Foot Book collage!! I read them the "Foot Book" (which they again thought was hilarious!) and then we talked about how many feet we have and how many feet different animals have and what not. Next, I laid down two giant sheets of paper on the floor. I had one student come over one at a time, take off socks and shoes and paint the bottom of their feet in any two colors they wanted. They seriously loved it!! For most of them, painting the bottom of their feet was torture because of how ticklish they are, and I can totally relate to them!! I am super ticklish!! The final outcome was simple, yet they loved it and it looked awesome! Here it is!
I love how colorful it turned out! And yes, above this this, you see "Thing 1 and Thing 2"!! We made those out of their feet and hands! With almost every book we got to take a piece of it and bring it into our classroom but in our own way! The students loved it!!
It was a fun couple weeks to have them become so excited about the books we were reading and the activities we were doing!! One day they even got to take out all the play clothes and dress up as silly as they wanted and become their own Dr. Seuss character!
Any preschool teacher out there needs to take full advantage of Dr. Seuss, even if it isn't his birthday week and let your students go crazy with it!!! There are endless ideas out there and everything is beyond simple to do! 
So thank you Dr. Seuss for being such an amazing author and giving our students such silly books they can get so involved in!!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment